A ‘crush’ on you !
Aaah…..strawberries ! These ruby-red, juicy and fragrant berries are also nutritious, carrying a punch of health benefits in the form of antioxidants, fiber and vitamin C. We enjoy them while they are around, but the season is quite short lived ! Every year I religiously process them into a bright, chunky crush. Then it’s ready to pour over a scoop of vanilla ice cream ! For that, the Brand Verka Vanilla Ice Cream wins hands down ! It has a smooth, creamy taste, unmatched by any other !
- 4 punnets of strawberries
- 700 gm sugar
- ½ cup lemon juice
- Verka Vanilla Ice Cream to serve
- few sprigs of mint leaves to garnish
- Wash, hull and chop the strawberries.
- Place them in a wide bowl, then scatter in the sugar, mixing lightly.
- Cover and keep in a cool place for 7-8 hours.
- Now tip the sugary berries into a wide kadhaai and cook on high flame till it’s bubbling.
- Reduce the heat, add lemon juice and continue cooking, stirring all the time.
- 15-20 minutes later, you should have a thicker syrupy liquid, coating the fruit pieces.
- Switch off the flame and cool the preserve.
- To make up a heavenly sundae, chill some tall, pretty glasses in the fridge.
- Drop a scoop Verka Vanilla icecream into each of them, topping it with some strawberry compote. Repeat with more of both.
- Finally garnish with a sprig of mint on top of the luscious red sauce. Serve immediately !
Note : The amount of sugar can be increased or reduce as per your personal taste. Mixing sugar and berries draws out the juices and flavour from the fruit. This is called maceration. Since the weather is warm now, you can keep the bowl in the fridge overnight ; prior to cooking. To add an extra dimension to the sundae, scatter some melon seeds over the ice cream, then drizzle with chocolate sauce. The leftover compote can be bottled and placed in the fridge till needed.