Spicy Baby Potatoes
Spiced Little Ones
Baby potatoes make a delightful dish to enjoy with the parathas or chapattis. When well seasoned and spiced, they make an even better snack to savour over the drinks or with a cup of ‘chaai’. Since they are tiny, they cook in a jiffy and are easy to pop into the mouth without effort! Flavouring them is the key to good taste, and nothing works as wonderfully as Verka Ghee for the final “wow” effect!
- 500-550 gm baby potatoes
- 2½-3 tbsp Verka Ghee
- 1¼ tsp ‘kalaunji’ (onions seeds)
- 1 tsp jeera
- ¾ tsp whole dhaniya seeds
- 1 tsp ‘saunf’
- Salt, pepper, and chilli flakes to taste
- 1 tsp ‘amchoor’ (optional)
- Wash the potatoes well. Do not peel.
- Use a ‘kadhai’ to dry-roast all the seeds – dhaniya, jeera, saunf, and kalaunji.
- When fragrant and brownish, remove from the heat and let them cool. Then grind them to a coarse powder.
- In the same ‘kadhai’ melt the Verka Ghee and push in the baby potatoes. Toss and fry on high heat till their skins are slightly brown.
- Now add a splash of water, lower the heat, and cook them until tender or till the water evaporates completely.
- Sprinkle the spices mixture over the baby potatoes and toss to coat evenly. Turn off the heat.
- Add salt, pepper, and chilli flakes to taste.
- If you like a sour flavour, you can add the amchoor!
- Serve hot or at room temperature, maybe with a garnish of mint leaves.
Note: While selecting the potatoes, make sure they have no nicks and cuts. It could be tricky to remove grit from such cracks. To save time, you can first boil the potatoes till they are semi-cooked. Then proceed with the recipe as before.