Eggs are generally considered breakfast fare by most of us. When we have time, we often cook them into an omelette. In the western world an omelette is usually made with eggs whipped to a fluffy consistency, then cooked with lots of colourful, chopped veggies. A Spanish omelette typically has potatoes, tomatoes and cheese as the filling. The filling is hidden in the folds of the buttery omelette, waiting to surprise you as you take your first bite ! When it comes to butter and cheese, Verka reigns supreme !
- 300 gm potatoes
- 2-3 tbsp Verka Butter
- 1 red bell pepper,diced into small pieces
- 1 cup grated Verka Cheese
- 4-5 spring onions, sliced finely
- 8 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the potatoes into small, even sized cubes. Cook in boiling salted water till tender but not mushy.
- Put a knob of butter in a pan and stir fry the red bell pepper, then add the spring onion and turn off the heat.
- Remove from the pan, add drained potato cubes, then add a little salt and pepper. Toss gently
- Set up a heavy frying pan on medium heat.
- Whip the eggs, some salt and pepper in a deep bowl. They should become light and foamy.
- Add some Verka Butter to the pan, then scoop out half of the egg-mixture into the frying pan and tap sharply to spread it across the surface.
- Scatter half the veggie mixture in the center of the eggs, sprinkle half the grated cheese on top, then fold the omelette into a roll. (like a dosa).
- Cover and cook till firm, flipping over when the bottom seems to have browned slightly.
- Remove from pan, add more butter to the pan and repeat to make a second omelette with the remaining ingredients.
- Serve hot with a milk shake or a cup of hot chocolate.
Note: A Spanish omelette is originally cooked under a broiler, then served, cut into wedges. To use a frying pan is a simpler version that does not require a grill. Add salt sparingly. Remember that the cheese carries a lot of salt too ! You can vary the set of vegetables as per your mood. For a tastier version, fry the potatoes in a pat of Verka Butter before adding them to the omelette ! Yum…yum… !