Lip Smacking Lovelies
This week was the time for Ganpati festival. Housewives make modaks to offer to the rotund Bappa and to feed the eager family members. Bengal has another variation called the “Shondesh” which is shaped into delightful moulds. You can make fish shapes, conch shells and flowers to please the kids! This delicious sweet is so easy to prepare with a pack of Verka Paneer!
- 1 packet Verka Paneer
- 4 pods green cardamom (elaichi)
- 4 -5 tbsp grain sugar
- 2-3 strands of saffron
- 1 tbsp milk
- 10-12 pistachios
- Soak the saffron in a warm milk for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut the paneer into cubes, and then mash thoroughly to a fine dough-like paste.
- Split the elaichi and grind the seeds along with the sugar.
- Add this powder and saffron into the paneer-paste and mix well again.
- Set up a heavy pan on heat, add the mashed paneer mixture and cook on a low heat till the sugary fluids vanish. (4-5 mins)
- If you have moulds, mix in the chopped pistachios and then press the mash into moulds to get the desired shape.
- If you don’t have moulds, simply make small balls. Press your thumb into the centre to create a dent, then fill chopped pistachios into the centres.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 4-5 hours before serving.
Note: For a refined look and a creamy taste, the Verka Paneer must be mashed till it is really smooth. Do not over cook the mixture, a dry mash will become crumbly. It will not taste as good nor it will be pliant for shaping.