Shahi Badaam Halwa
Shahi Badaam Halwa
“Cold weather is the perfect time for warm treats! The fragrant, desi ghee of Verka marries beautifully with almonds to make a royal halwa fit for a king! There is scientific evidence that ghee in moderate quantities is the best form of fat to consume. Almonds too are very beneficial for our health. They are excellent for the brain and heart functions and help lower cholesterol. Make this delicious halwa and pass steaming hot bowls around to your whole family!
Shaahi #Badaam #Halwa:
- – 1 cup almonds
- – 1 cup Verka Milk
- – 3 tbsp ‘sooji’
- – ½ – ¾ cup Verka Ghee
- – 1½ cup sugar
- – 2-3 green elaichi, powdered
- – 3-4 strands of saffron
- – Few drops yellow food colour (optional)
- – Soak the almonds in warm water till soft. Peel and grind with the milk till you have a fine paste.
- – Take out 2 tbsp milk in a small cup. Lightly dry roast the saffron on a pan, then crumble on to the milk. Allow it to infuse for 10 minutes.
- – Heat 1 cup of water along with the sugar. Boil till the sugar dissolves and you have a slightly thick syrup.
- – Add Verka Ghee to a heavy ‘karhaai’, heat and roast the sooji till slightly browned and fragrant.
- – Add the almond paste and saffron milk and stir well to mix.
- – Add sugar syrup, elaichi powder and yellow colour (if using). Bring to a boil, reduce flame and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- – When the mixture bubbles furiously and leaves the sides of the karhaai, it is ready!
- – Garnish with some fried almond slivers and serve hot.
Note: You can adjust the quantity of sugar as per your taste but do not reduce the Verka Ghee. It will result in a sticky, less tasty halwa! Mix in a portion of ‘gurbandi’ almonds for added flavour. You can pack individual helpings of the halwa in greaseproof paper for the children’s tiffin boxes or an office lunch.