Pear, Walnut and Cheese Salad
The fruit shops are now laden with pears in all shapes and sizes! You can choose crunchy ones or juicy ones, yellow ones or green ones and even those that are blushing pink! Pears pair wonderfully with the saltiness of Verka Cheese to make a crisp and healthy salad. Lettuce and walnuts add new dimensions and Verka Paneer adds a soft creamy flavour! Make this super salad for your loved ones. It will be finished off in a jiffy!
Pear, Walnut and Cheese Salad Ingredients:
- 1 ripe, juicy pear
- 1½ cups shredded lettuce leaves
- 75 gm Verka Paneer
- 75 gm Verka Cheese
- 3 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tsp vinegar
- ½-1 tsp mustard sauce
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crumble the Verka Paneer and dice the Verka Cheese into small cubes.
- Core and slice the pear thinly.
- Mince the garlic if using.
- Take a wide bowl, place the lettuce, paneer, cheese, walnuts and pears in it and mix well. Chill in the refrigerator.
- Use a jam jar to combine the olive oil, mustard, vinegar, garlic (if using), salt and pepper. Close the lid and shake well till blended. This is called a vinaigrette dressing.
- 15-20 minutes before serving, pour the tangy dressing over the salad and toss well to coat thoroughly.
- Serve chilled.
Note: Any refined oil can replace the olive oil but it must be odourless. If the walnut bits are roasted in a dry pan they will taste really aromatic. You can try this recipe using baby spinach leaves instead of lettuce. To prevent the sliced pears from turning brown, sprinkle a little lemon juice over them. Then, you can reduce the quantity of vinegar by a small amount.