Makhana (foxnut) is the new popular champion of healthy snacking. It is high in fiber, low in calories and a great source of protein, iron and other trace elements. By themselves, a makhana is almost devoid of flavour. It must be be pepped up with spices to be turned into a delicious snack which will please one and all ! Don’t forget to stir in a little bit of Verka Ghee for that wholesome, magical touch !
- 1½ makhana
- 1¼ tbsp Verka Ghee
- ½ – ¾ tsp chaat masala
- ¼ tsp haldi powder
- ¼ tsp chili powder (optional)
- 1 sprig curry patta
- Salt to taste
- Heat Verka Ghee in a deep pan or in a ‘kadhaai’.
- Add curry leaves, allow them to splutter, then remove at once to a plate.
- Now toss the makhanas into the same ghee and roast on medium heat till crisp.
- Sprinkle with salt, haldi, chili powder and chaat masala.
- Switch off the heat. (the masalas must not get burnt). Now crumble the curry leaves and scatter over the makhanas.
- Mix well to coat evenly. Serve warm or cool and store in an air tight jar.
Note : Check the makhanas before roasting. Patches of blackish skin on the surface should be peeled off, or it will taste gritty. A pinch of ‘heeng’ can be added into the ghee before roasting the makhanas. It imparts a lovely flavour. For a continental twist, skip the haldi and chaat masala. Instead, add mixed herbs to the pan while the makhanas are still warm.