Lemony Crinkle Cookies
Nothing compares to a crumbly crisp home-made cookie, laden with the goodness of real butter. A few basic ingredients, a squeeze of lemon juice and a pat of Verka Butter is all you need to make these heavenly, tangy morsels. Easy to bake and easier to eat, they are a burst of flavour that pops in the mouth ! Keep a clean, dry tin ready. As soon as they have cooled, put them away to prevent them from getting soggy. Better still, gobble them all at once with a little help from family or friends !
Lemony Crinkle Cookies:
- 2 cups maida
- ½ tsp each salt and sodabicarb (meetha soda)
- 5 tsp lemon juice
- ½ cup Verka Butter
- 1¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
- Use a deep bowl to beat the sugar and Verka butter until pale and fluffy
- Add the egg and vanilla, then whisk further.
- Sieve together the maida, salt and soda. Stir in the lemon zest.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees C.
- Now gradually add the dry ingredients to the bowl, Beat minimally on lowest speed till just blended in.
- Systematically drop the batter in small heaps on a baking sheet, 1 tbsp for each mound.
- Rotate the sheets after 9-10 minutes to encourage even cooking.
- Bake for a total of 15-17 minutes or till the edges begin to colour slightly.
- Remove from oven and wait for 2 minutes, then ease the cookies off on to a wire rack.
- Cool and transfer into an air tight tin.
- Brew some chaai, pull out the tinful of happiness and enjoy the treat !
Note: Don’t be nervous about using lemon zest. It lends a wonderful flavour to the cookies. While dropping the batter on the sheet, maintain 1 inch of space between each dollop. You don’t need to flatten the cookie dough. The batter will level out automatically when it faces the oven heat !