Kerala Beetroot Pachadi
Dahi raita makes a delightful accompaniment to any Indian meal. Here is one that uses beetroot. It is a beautiful pink colour and is extremely nourishing. Kerala has a variation where coconut and a tempering (tadka) takes this raita to another level. It is called beetroot pachadi. This light, cooling raita is bursting with flavour and will be a sure shot hit with your family !
- 1 large beetroot, boiled, peeled and grated
- 1½ cup Verka Dahi
- 3 tbsp grated coconut
- 1 green chili, finely minced
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 6-8 curry leaves
- 1 tsp Verka Ghee
- 1/8 tsp heeng
- Salt to taste
- Whip the Verka Dahi till smooth and keep it chilled.
- Add Verka Ghee to a pan and splutter the mustard seeds.
- Add heeng and curry leaves and stir briefly. Switch off the heat.
- Mix the coconut, chilies and grated beetroot into the chilled dahi.
- Add salt to taste, mix well and transfer into a pretty bowl.
- Finally pour the cooled,tempered oil over the top.
- Serve chilled with rice, daal and ‘paapad’.
Note : Dried red chili can be used in the ‘tadka’ in place of fresh green chili in the raita. Traditionally, coconut oil is used to make the ‘tadka’. It gives a wonderful Southern flavor. As a variation, little each of grated carrots and chopped spring onion can be used instead of the grated coconut.