To Serve: 4 – 6
- 1 cup Cracked wheat or Daliya
- 1 tablespoon Basmati Rice
- 3 cups Verka Full Cream Milk
- ¾ cup Shakar or Jaggery powder
- 4 tablespoon Verka Ghee
- ¼ teaspoon Rock salt
- 8 Almonds
- 8 – 10 Raisins
- 1 ½ teaspoon Ginger powder
- 2 tablespoon small pieces of dried Coconut
- Wash wheat and rice together and soak for 40 – 45 minutes. Drain and take them in a thick bottom pot, 1cup water, and Verka milk, stir to mix. Place on medium heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and let it cook for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Now add washed raisins, slivers of almonds (reserve some for garnish) and a pinch of salt, stir well, cover and continue cooking. Regularly keep stirring while simmering.
- Let it simmer for 12 – 15 minutes or until cracked wheat is tender and well cooked.
- Now add shakar, stir and let it melts completely. Add ginger powder and dried coconut pieces, stir and mix them well.
- Stir in ghee until it mixes well. Let it simmer for 2 – 3 minutes or until attaining Kheer consistency. If it is too thick adjust consistency with few spoons of hot milk. If it is thin then simmer for a few minutes.
- Place in individual cup or bowls, garnish with almond slivers. Top it with a ¼ teaspoon of Verks ghee.
Inspiration of Gavachi Kheer from Maharashtra.