Gajar ki Burfi
Gajar ka Gazab/ Carrot ka Kamaal
Winter brings us juicy red carrots. We love them cooked, in salads, and absolutely adore them as gajar ka halwa! A different avatar of carrots is ‘gajar ki burfi’. It is glistening and fudgy, rich and sweet, and easy to prepare with a few basic ingredients. Verka Ghee, Verka Milk, and Verka Milk Powder, all play an important role when I make this delicious burfi!
- 500-600 gm carrots, grated
- 3 tbsp Verka Ghee
- ½ cup grain sugar (or more)
- ¾ cup Verka Milk Powder
- ½ cup Verka Milk
- ¾ tsp ‘elaichi’ powder
- 2 tbsp pistachios
- Smear a shallow tray with a little ghee and keep aside.
- Make a paste with the Verka Milk and Verka Milk Powder.
- Heat Verka Ghee in a thick bottomed ‘kadhai’
- Tip the carrots into the ‘kadhai’ and saute till they are darker and tender. (10-12 minutes)
- Add the milky paste, sugar, and ‘elaichi’ powder to the carrots. Cook until the sugary liquid evaporates completely.
- Turn off the gas burner, cool it slightly and scrape it out into the greased tray.
- Level out and pat the mixture evenly till it is smooth.
- Scatter chopped pistachios over the surface and press down gently to embed them into the mixture.
- Let it cool completely. Then cut into squares and serve at the room temperature.
Note: To simplify the removal of the burfi, line the tray with a foil and grease the foil with ghee. When the burfi cools down enough, you can simply lift out the foil sheet and separate the pieces. You can also use a cookie cutter to make heart-shaped or round discs of burfi.