Dahi wali Bhindi
Bhindi Bemisaal !
Bhindi (lady finger) is one of my favourite summer veggies. It is usually cooked in a dry form, blended with our regular spices and amchoor. When I came across this recipe with a dahi base, I was skeptical. Once attempted, I was won over for life ! Verka Dahi was blended in to make the gloriously velvety gravy for this dish.
Dahi wali Bhindi:
- ¾ sliced onion
- 1½ tbsp minced ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1½ tbsp Verka Ghee
- 150 gm bhindi, cut into large pieces
- ½ tsp each mustard seeds, jeera, haldi and dhaniya powder
- Pinch of heeng
- 2-3 sprigs of curry leaves
- 1 cup thick Verka Dahi
- Salt, chili powder and garam masala to taste
- Oil for frying
- Heat up Verka Ghee, fry the onions till golden, followed by ginger and garlic.
- Turn off the heat, cool and blend with a little water till you have a paste.
- In the same kadhai,add minimal oil and fry the bhindi till a darker green in colour. Remove.
- Add another trickle of oil to the kadhai and scatter in the mustard, jeera, methi and heeng.
- Add curry leaves and onion paste and saute for 2 minutes to blend the flavours.
- Season with chili powder, haldi, dhaniya powder and salt. Fry for a few minutes.
- Beat Verka Dahi till smooth, then add to the vessel. Stir further.
- Add the previously fried bhindi and a splash of water, stir and cook covered for 4-5 minutes.
- Serve hot after stirring in some garam masala.