Crunchy Almond Fudge
Every thing is better with butter, and every thing is even better with Verka Butter ! Almond fudge is my favorite rainy-day-treat which includes the goodness of almonds and butter to create some magical morsels. Decadent, rich and velvety, it will be an all time hit with your family and friends.
- ½ cup good quality cocoa powder
- 1 cup Verka Whole Milk
- 2 cups grain sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 4½ tbsp Verka Butter
- 100 gm almonds, mostly chopped, a few slivered for garnishing
- Add sugar, cocoa and Verka Milk to a heavy bottomed pan. Stir till blended.
- Turn on the heat and bring to a boil while stirring.
- Now lower the heat and simmer. Do not stir at all.
- Line a 8inch by 8inch tin with grease proof paper. Keep ready.
- Cook the fudge mixture for 15-18 minutes, then use a spoon to drop a little into a glass of cold water.
- Remove from the water with a spoon. It should form a soft ball when pressed gently between thumb and forefinger.
- If the mixture dissolves in the cold water, it is an indication that you need to cook it more.
- When the ‘soft ball stage’ has been achieved. Turn off the flame.
- Add the Verka Butter and vanilla, then beat vigorously till the mixture stops looking shiny.
- Pour into the cake tin or prepared tray, then make the surface smooth with a blunt knife.
- Cool and cut into squares.
Note: Walnuts or cashews also make a delicious alternative to almonds. A teaspoonful of coffee powder can be added at the boiling stage to prepare a mocha flavor. In warm weather, place the tin in the fridge to set the fudge quickly.