Make mine Mexican
Tomatoes, beans, cumin and cheese are the core ingredients of Mexican cuisine. Even their tortillas are very close in character to our wheat ‘rotis’. They use paprika which is mildly spicy. Its amazing how a tortilla, rolled up with beans, cheese and cumin infused tomato paste can taste so scrumptious yet so different from all its individual components.Try some delicious burritos, with a punch of Verka Cheese ! They are guaranteed to please the palate !
- 8-10 soft wheat rotis, kept warm
- 1½ tbsp Verka Butter
- ¾ cup diced onion
- 500 gm boneless chicken
- ¼-½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin (jeera)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 400 ml thick tomato puree
- 2- 2½ cups cooked beans (rajmaah)
- ¾ cup grated Verka Cheese
- ½ cup chopped shoots of spring onion
- 5-6 tbsp fresh, chopped cilantro (dhaniya)
- 1 cup sour cream
- Heat 1 tbsp Verka Butter in a heavy wok or kadai and saute the onion and garlic.
- Add diced chicken, degi mirch, salt, oregano, jeera powder and the tomato puree.
- Cook till the chicken is tender and the ingredients blended.
- At this stage, ladle some tomato sauce out into a small bowl. This is for later coating the ready burritos.
- In another pan, add the remaining butter and tip in the beans and some salt.
- Add grated Verka Cheese, toss to combine and turn off the heat. Mix lightly till the cheese melts and coats the beans.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C.
- Slightly warm the tortillas in a microwave oven and lay them out on a clean surface.
- Ladle some beans mixture over them, followed by the chicken and spring onions.
- Roll each burrito firmly, coat with a smearing of sauce and arrange in a shallow,rectangular dish.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, remove and garnish with extra cheese and cilantro.
- Serve with a bowl of sour cream
Note: ‘Degi mirch’ being a milder chili powder is very suitable for burritos. Sour cream can be prepared by setting warmed cream with a spoonful of yogurt, quite like we set ‘dahi’ at home. Guacamole or salsa also make good accompaniments.