Cauliflower in Cheesy Sauce
Anything can taste better with cheese, and the BEST with Verka Cheese! Winter brings us a glut of fresh cauliflower to enjoy in countless ways. This recipe combines three delicious offerings from the brand Verka – Verka Cheese, Verka Butter and Verka Milk. Bake fresh cauliflower with them to make an exotic dish which is simple to cook and delightful to eat!
- ½ litre Verka Whole Milk
- 1 medium-sized onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 500-600 gm cauliflower cut into florets
- 50 gm Verka Butter
- 5 tbsp ‘maida’ (40 gm)
- 1¼ cup grated Verka Cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the Verka Milk, bay leaf, onion, and garlic in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil and simmer for a few minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Cover and keep aside for 20-30 minutes, allowing the flavours to infuse.
- Steam the cauliflower florets in salted (pinch only) water until tender.
- In another pan or ‘kadhai’, melt the Verka Butter and add the ‘maida’. Stir briskly for 2-3 minutes till the raw smell vanishes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Strain the fragrant milk into the pan stirring briskly to avoid lumps.
- Cook until the sauce thickens and then scatter 1 cup of grated Verka Cheese over the surface.
- Stir to mix well. Remove from heat and add salt and pepper.
- Evenly arrange the cauliflower in a flat baking dish and pour the cheesy sauce over it.
- Scatter the remaining cheese over the top and bake for 30-40 minutes until the surface is golden brown and bubbling.
Note: Do not overcook the florets in water. Remember they will be cooked further while baking. For an enhanced flavour, roast the raw florets in a ‘kadhai’ with the minimum amount of Verka Ghee. When they develop little brown specks on them, sprinkle little water over them and steam till slightly tender