Bread Dahi Vadas
Bread Dahi Vadas
“Dahi vadas are a lovely, tangy delight, greatly loved by one and all! You needn’t soak and grind ‘daal’ to make them. Instead, make them in a jiffy by using bread! What’s more, this version is lighter and oil free! Verka Dahi is whipped to drape these spicy vadas. ‘Imli chutney’ adds the extra zing!
Easy Bread Dahi Vadas Ingredients:
- 4-5 slices white bread
- 1 tbsp fresh dhaniya, chopped
- ½ tsp finely minced green chili
- 2½ tsp raisins
- 2 tsp chopped cashew nuts
- 1½ Verka Dahi
- ½-¾ cup ‘imli chutney’
- ¼ cup mint chutney
- ¾ tsp roasted whole jeera
- Rock salt, chili powder, pepper and chaat masala to taste
- Pomegranate seeds to garnish
- Trim the crust off each bread-slice. Keep a flat dish ready with some water in it.
- Make filling by mashing the raisins with your fingertips, then add nuts, green chilies and dhaniya.
- Whisk the Verka Dahi, add some rock salt, chili powder and garam masala. Refrigerate.
- Soak a bread slice in water, remove and squeeze between your palms. It should become pliable.
- Place some filling in the centre of the moistened bread, fold in the edges, seal with gentle pressure, then place in a shallow dish. Repeat with all the bread-slices.
- Spoon the Verka Dahi over the sitting vadas till they are well coated.
- Splash ‘imli chutney’ and mint chutney across them, followed by chaat masala, chili powder and jeera.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds and fresh dhaniya. Serve chilled and wait for the applause!
Note : Do not soak the bread too much or too long or else it will break up. Add a pinch of sugar to the Verka Dahi. It instantly brightens up the dish! You can use any other nuts too, for the filling. Try to roast jeera, just before preparing the dish. It has a lovely aroma, unmatched by anything you may have lying in a jar.