Milky and Magical!
Diwali brings in oil lamps, lights, sweets, and dry fruits into our homes! Later, it is a perfect time to experiment with the left-overs to create new dishes. Almonds make magical ‘Badam Milk’ when combined with nutritious Verka Milk. The goodness of milk and the health benefits of almonds are sweetened and mingled with fragrant ‘elaichi’. This is truly a healthy drink for anyone, at any time!
- 2½ cups Verka Whole Milk
- 40 almonds
- 5 tbsp grain sugar
- 3-4 pods green ‘elaichi’
- Soak the almonds overnight in 2-3 cups of water.
- Slip off the skin from the almonds and place them in the jug of a blender.
- Crush the ‘elaichi’ pods, remove the seeds, and add them to the jug.
- Add sugar, a little bit of the milk, and grind to a smooth paste.
- Top up with the remaining milk, check for the sweetness, and blend again briefly.
- Transfer the milk into a pan and heat to the desired temperature.
- Pour into glasses and serve hot, garnished with a little more ‘elaichi’ powder or slivered almonds.
- You can also refrigerate the badam milk and serve it cold.
Note: Do not neglect the prepared milk while heating it. The almond paste can settle at the bottom of the pan and get scorched if not stirred constantly. A few strands of saffron works wonders when used in this recipe. Add them at the last stage while heating the milk. If you are in a hurry, you need not soak the almonds overnight; just soak them in boiling water for 40-50 minutes.