Apricot is one of the four major ‘stone fruits’ that come into the market during summer. It has a short span as compared to plums, peaches and cherries but has a unique and exquisite flavour. Apricots are lovely to enjoy on their own or as a topping for ice creams or in a fruit salad. They are even more delightful when they are converted into chewy, juicy homemade cookies with the use of Verka Butter !
- 500-600 gm juicy ripe apricots
- 75-85 gm grain sugar(less than ½ cup)
- ½ cup ‘maida’
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp coarse salt
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup Verka Butter (57 gm)
- ½ cup oats
- 1 tsp almond essence
- Cut the Verka Butter into small cubes and keep chilled/
- Cook the grain sugar and chopped apricots together till the sugar dissolves.
- Continue to cook, stirring frequently till you have a thick jam.
- Roughly mash the cooled fruit.
- In a wide bow, mix together the ‘maida’,oats, brown sugar, soda and salt till well combined.
- Scatter the cubed butter over the mix and rub it together with your fingertips. Finally, the mixture should look like breadcrumbs.
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a square shallow dish with a smearing of butter.
- Now evenly press 2/3rd of the mixture on to the base of the dish, pushing it into the corners.
- Spread the cooled apricot preserve on to the crust. Level with a spatula or a blunt knife.
- Evenly scatter the remaining mixture over the apricots preserve. Press gently.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or till the crust seems crisp and golden.
- Remove from the oven, cool, cut into bars and store in an airtight container.
- Place squares of grease proof paper between the bars to prevent them from sticking.