Ajwaini Paneer Tikka
Ajwaini Paneer Tikka
“Nothing can match the taste of hot, spicy paneer tikkas, when they are cooked well and are made using good quality paneer. Moist, healthy and delicious Verka Paneer makes excellent tikkas with the help of Verka Dahi and Verka Ghee. A few basic masalas are added for punch and flavour. The preparation takes very little time and they will be cleaned off the plate even faster! This is a simple recipe which does not require a ‘tandoor’. It can be cooked on a heavy pan!”
Ajwaini Paneer Tikka Ingredients:
- 200-250 gms Verka Paneer
- 1 tub Verka Dahi
- ½ tsp each haldi, degi mirch, jeera powder, pepper and dhaniya powder
- 1 tsp each ajwain, and chaat masala
- ½ cup each chunks of onion, red bell pepper and capsicum
- 2-3 tbs Verka Ghee
- Mint chutney to serve
- Use a square piece of muslin and tie the Verka Dahi for 3-4 hours. (you need the firm residue)
- Put the dahi in a deep bowl and add the haldi, mirch, dhaniya, jeera, pepper, ajwain and the ginger garlic paste. Mix well.
- Cut the paneer into even sized blocks, 1½ inches width.
- Add the paneer and the veggie chunks into the marinade, coat well and marinate for 1½-2 hours.
- Alternately skewer the paneer pieces and veggies on to metal or wooden skewers.
- Heat a heavy pan, smear with a little Verka Ghee, then lower the skewers on to the hot surface.
- Baste with a touch of Verka Ghee and cook uncovered, turning when necessary.
- Remove from pan when the veggies are a bit soft but still crunchy.
- Serve with a sprinkle of chaat masala and a squirt of lemon juice.
Note: If wooden skewers are used, soak them in water prior to use (20 minutes). This will prevent them from getting burnt during cooking. You can also use an oven for preparing this dish. Pre heat to 180 degrees C, baste the paneer with ghee and bake for 25 minutes, turning and basting once after 15 minutes. The leftover marinade has some delicious flavours of masalas and smooth Verka Dahi. Use it to make a tangy and spicy gravy for another dish! Cooking in an authentic tandoor will impart a lovely smoky flavour to these tikkas.