Kashmiri cuisine is unique in may ways as are the delicacies from most states in India. Wazwan is the term for a multi course Kashmiri feast comprising numerous dishes, both meat based and vegetarian. Aab Gosht is a mutton curry cooked with aromatic spices and milk. It is a flavorsome and robust dish, best enjoyed when served with rice.
- 500 gm mutton pieces
- 3 tsp powdered fennel (saunf)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- ½ tsp dry ginger powder
- 2¾ cups Verka Milk
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 3 green ‘elaichis’
- ½ cup Verka Ghee
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the meat, fennel powder, garlic, ginger powder,2½ cups of water and some salt in a vessel. Cook on a slow fire till the mutton is quite tender.
- Scoop out the mutton pieces and keep aside.
- In a separate pan set up the milk to boil. Add slightly crushed elaichis, lower the heat and cook till the milk is reduced to half.
- Heat ghee in a deep pan and fry the onions till crisp and brown.
- Add the meat pieces and ‘bhuno’ well. Add the liquid (stock) that was kept separately.
- Stir occcasionally while the meat simmers.
- Add the fragrant milk to the pot and cook till the meat is tender. The gravy will not be too thick.
- Sprinkle some freshly ground pepper and serve hot.
Note: This recipe can also be used to make a chicken preparation. Mace (javitri) can be added in the first step of cooking to given extra flavor.