With scorching heat, it can get difficult every day to stay cool. This causes health issues and one on them being indigestion. There are certain trigger foods that cause indigestion when the body gets heated and thus causes bloating.
Here are some symptoms of Indigestion:
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Abdominal pain
- Heart Burn (Acid Reflux)
- Nausea with and without vomiting
- Constipation or Diarrhoea
Foods to Avoid Indigestion:
- High Fat - Food high in fat slows down the digestion process therefore, avoid having fried food, full-fat dairy, ham & bacon fat, ice cream, and greasy foods.
- Chocolate - Avoid having chocolate in summers as it contains caffeine and the bromine which can cause acid reflux and burning sensation in the esophagus.
- Spicy Food – Stay away from spicy foods that contain onions, garlic, etc as they can trigger heartburn.
- High Fibre – If you are already suffering from indigestion issues then you must ignore high fibre foods as they can increase bloating and abdominal cramps.
- Fizzy Drinks – Soda and carbonated beverages are some of the main causes of reflux and therefore you must stay away from fizzy drinks.
How to Cure Indigestion fast
Digestion plays a huge part in one’s well being. When the food does not get digested properly, it gets collected in the intestines. And, if this waste continues to accumulate for long, it can lead to unwanted health issues in future.
Therefore, to keep the digestive system running smoothly, it is important to know what food is good for indigestion. We have shared below the list of foods that can help you fight all digestive disorders:
- Coconut Water
Unsweetened coconut water contains electrolytes that maintain the body’s pH balance and controls acid reflux. Natural coconut water is rich in fibre & helps with regular bowel movements. In addition to this, it also has cleaning properties that help flush out toxins from your body.
- Non-Citrus Fruits
Non-citrus fruits such as bananas, apples, papaya, pear, and melons are high in anti-oxidants, potassium and fibre. Having these fruits hydrates the body, keeps acidity at bay and reduces pH levels.
- Cold Milk
Having cold milk neutralizes acids in the stomach and combats acidity. Anytime you feel heartburn or any other symptom of indigestion, have a glass of cold unsweetened low-fat milk.
Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties that help relieve gastrointestinal irritation and can also ease heartburn. Having ginger tea and adding ginger to your food can help ease the symptoms.
- Curd & Lassi
The presence of natural bacteria in curd & lassi makes it an effective remedy for acidity. Having lassi and curd after meals restrict the formation of acid and keeps the digestive system healthy.
Now that you are aware of the best food for indigestion, make sure you include these in your summer diet to keep your gut healthy.
Note: If you are suffering from diabetes, gastroenteritis or any other health disorder, consult a doctor before adding or eliminating anything from your diet.