The nutritional value and availability of cow’s milk has made it one of the most in-demand liquids on the planet. Cow milk is particularly high in protein, vitamin B, vitamin D, various minerals, organic compounds and antioxidants that can affect and stimulate the body in many different ways.
Cow milk has many important health benefits, including its ability to boost the immune system, reduces fat, protects the heart, prevents diabetes, eliminates inflammation, builds strong bones and teeth, and helps stimulate growth. Let’s take a look at them in detail:
- Strong Bones and Teeth: Entire advertising campaigns have been dedicated to the concept that milk builds strong bones, and it is quite true. Cow milk is a rich source of protein, calcium and other essential minerals, which makes it an important dietary consideration for not only bones but also for teeth.
- Heart Health: Cow milk tend to have a high content of omega-3 fatty acids that are the “good” form of cholesterol in the body, which can actually help improve heart health and prevent heart attacks or strokes.
- Prevent Diabetes: With high levels of vitamin B and essential minerals, cow milk helps boost the metabolism and process food normally, which helps regulate glucose and insulin levels that helps to prevent or manage diabetes to a large extent.
- Weight Loss: Due to high protein content, cow milk causes fullness and feelings of satiety and thus can aid in weight loss.
- Inflammatory Issues: There’s a reason why people drink milk following a spicy meal! Cow milk has a unique blend of nutrients that soothe the stomach’s inflammation and improving the efficiency of digestion.
- Growth and Development: Cow milk contains a complete set of proteins which helps in the production of energy, growth and natural development.
- Immune System:
Cow milk contains antioxidant compounds like vitamin E, selenium and zinc that can seek out dangerous free radicals throughout the body that may be causing mutations or chronic illnesses.
Cow milk benefits according to Ayurveda:
- Coolant effect on the body and mind.
- Improves Ojas - Ojas is considered as the factor responsible for the immunity of the body. (Ojovardhaka)
- Nourishes the body tissues (Dhatu vardhaka)
- Acts as natural aphrodisiac.
- Does rejuvenation, increases life expectancy.
- Improves intelligence, strength
- Increases breast milk in the feeding mother.
- Assists in easy movement (peristalsis) of intestines.
- Relieves tiredness, dizziness, excessive thirst and hunger.
- Useful in diseases like severe debility, relieving stage of fever, diseases related to urinary system, bleeding disorders such as nasal bleeding, heavy menstrual bleeding etc,
- Cow milk for newborn - Cow milk is the next best thing to breast milk for the newborn.
Note: Before making a major hike in your milk intake, consult a doctor/nutritionist.